KWCW Show of the Week: MTC Late Night Radio

Photo+by+Anna+Dawson+

Photo by Anna Dawson

Allison Hall, Staff Writer

Sophomores Tristan Cates, Matt Hill, and Court Osborn are three best friends whose radio show has a special twist: they all produce their own electronic music.

“We have been live mixing our favorite songs, mixing songs and DJ-ing. Tristan and I are still hoping to play more of our original music as time goes on. So far we have been playing Court’s music—he has written around 50 original songs,” Hill said.

It is no stretch of the imagination to assume that electronic music is not the predominant genre of music listened to by the Whitman or Walla Walla communities. The three of them decided their unique music taste was the perfect reason to create a radio station in order to spread the love for electronic music.

Though EDM can get a bad reputation, the genre has been gaining a lot of momentum in the past couple years.

“As people have become more exposed to EDM and it has become more mainstream, people have realized that they actually really like it,” Cates said.

Osborn believes that the best thing about electronic music is that it is, “Creative, free, and it is not boxed up. It can go in any direction you want it to.”

The show airs from 12:00 to 2:00 a.m. on Mondays. Hill speaks to the group’s dedication when he says, “Even though Tristan and I have an eight a.m. on Tuesday, it’s worth it.”

Cates, Hill, and Osborn are buzzing with excitement and have a lot planned for the future. They are hoping the community will get keep being involved in both their radio show and through events.

“The Earth Party is on Earth Day, April 22, and is a TKE blackout function. We hope to play some original music. I love sharing music with people, and for me it is as simple as that,” Hill said.

It is clear that music means everything to Cates, Hill, and Osborn. Hill finishes the interview with a quote to illustrate the power of music: “Art is how we decorate space; music is how we decorate time.”