Wire Watch Apr. 30-May 6

Gillian Mackay-Brown, Managing Editor

Ongoing

Senior Art Gallery

Open during gallery hours, Sheehan Gallery in Olin Hall

Our senior art majors have been working tirelessly on their theses all year. This gallery displays the culmination of their years of study at Whitman. Exhibits range ceramics to video installations to classic paintings.

Open to all.

Sunday, April 23

WEB Presents: Beat the Heat

3 p.m., Cordiner Side Lawn

Looking for a way to cool off this weekend? Come to Cordiner Side Lawn from 3 to 5 pm on Sunday for water balloons, a slip and slide, and snacks. There will be ice cream bars, boba and popsicles!

Open to Whitman students.

Monday, May 1

Chamber Choir Concert: Dark and Light

8 p.m., Kimball Theatre

This concert explores various shades of night and day and will be an immersive experience with the choir performing in various arrangements around the space, readings, student solos, and diverse music – some very esoteric, music of Venezuela, musical theater, and more. The concert also will feature special guest soloist, Dr. Jessica Posada, the director of voice here at Whitman.

Open to all.

Bruce Mackay Senior Cello Recital

7 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

Music Major Bruce Mackay performs his senior recital in partial fulfillment of the Music Major. He will be performing a new work by Whitman’s own former professor John-David Earnest: “Suite for Solo Cello.”

Open to all.

Wednesday, May 3

Jazz Combos Concert

7 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

You’ve heard of big band jazz; now get ready for small band jazz! Whitman’s Jazz Combos perform music ranging from golden age jazz to R&B to arrangements of modern pop and hiphop.

Open to all.

Thursday, May 4

PewDiePie Thesis Presentation

6 p.m., Hunter Conservatory

Film and Media Studies major Morgan Stone presents her honors thesis: “It’s Just a Meme: PewDiePie vs. T-Series & The Responsibility of Having an Audience of 100 Million.

Open to all.

Gillian Brown Senior Voice Recital

7 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

Senior Vocal Performance major Gillian brown performs her senior recital: “Sometimes a Day.” The performance will feature female composers in varying levels of obscurity, from Clara Schumann to Judith Cloud. She will be accompanied by Jan Roberts on piano and Ravi Narayan, baritone.

Open to all.

over under on in between

May 4-7, Harper Joy Theatre

“over under on in between” features three dances by faculty members Renée Archibald, Peter de Grasse, and returning guest artist LROD, whose hybrid dance/film work was presented in the Studio Series last year. The three student-performed works will foreground collaboration as method and subject and will consider concepts of relationality.

Evening performances: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8:00 p.m.

Matinees: Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

Purchase tickets at the Harper Joy Box Office or online. Tickets are free to Whitman students.

Saturday, May 6

Berney Beautification Day

10 a.m.-12 p.m., Berney Elementary School

Help Berney Elementary School during the Berney Beautification Day! Help run a station like gardening, poster making, face painting, community art and more!Please note that you don’t have to attend for the entire duration of the event if you are unable to, just be sure to indicate what time you will be attending on the form! Snacks and transportation (if needed) will be provided.

Open to all. Sign up here.

Monday, May 8

Climate Change Mini-Golf

1-3 p.m., Art Building Side Lawn

Whitman’s Art and Public Engagement class invites you to participate in their mini-golf course for climate change awareness. The golf course is completely handmade by the students.

Open to all.