Wire Watch Apr. 6-15

Gillian Mackay-Brown, Managing Editor

Thursday, April 6

First ASWC Debate

6 p.m., Reid Basement

Candidates for the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Chair, Student Development Chair and Finance Chair will be debating. Snacks will be provided.

Open to Whitman Students.

V-Nord: Why Did It Snow This Week?

9:30 p.m., Olin Auditorium

Varsity Nordic is back with a new show! No, they are not a ski team; they’re actually far more threatening. Bring your friends … or your enemies.

Open to all.

Friday, April 7

Serenata: A Celebration of Latin American Art Song

4 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

In preparation for the International Day of Latin American & Iberian Art Song, Visiting Professor of Voice Dr. Jessica Rosas Posada and Visiting Professor of Piano Dr. Tom Hicks will collaborate in a concert of Latin American classical music in Spanish and Portuguese, including some world premiers.

Open to all.

Saturday, April 8

Carnival for Child Advocates

12 p.m., Cordiner Side Lawn

Kappa Alpha Theta invites you to a carnival for all ages, in support of Walla Walla Child Advocates. There will be face painting, pie-in-the-face and many other activities for the whole family. Tickets are $1 per activity, and all proceeds go to Walla Walla Child Advocates in support of children in foster care.

Open to all.

Taste of Africa 2023

6 p.m., Reid Ballroom

The Whitman African Student Association (WASA) presents Taste of Africa 2023: Beyond Borders. Immerse yourself in the vibrant cultures of Africa through food, music and live performance.

Open to all.

Mo Dow, Senior Recital

7 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

Senior Music Technology and Production major Mo Dow presents their senior recital and lecture on musical surrealism. There will be several original compositions, including a live performance from student band The Wind-Up Birds.

Open to all.

Sunday, April 9

Ben Kehrli, Senior Recital

3 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

Senior Music Technology and Production Major Ben Kehrli presents his violin recital. You may recognize him as the concert master in the Whitman Orchestra. The performance will feature a wide range of classical repertoire.

Open to all.

Tuesday, April 11

Whitman Undergrad Conference 2023

All Day

The 25th Annual Whitman Undergraduate Conference will take place on various venues across campus. This day highlights the work students have done across campus in all disciplines. More information about the sessions and presenters is available here.

Open to all.

Thursday, April 13

Metamorphosis of Value: Puerto Rico in the Long 17th Century

5:30 p.m., Kimball Theatre

Professor RocĂ­o Zambrano from the University of Puerto Rico presents a lecture of Puerto Rico’s role in the formation of the modern capitalist world, particularly through the transatlantic slave trade.

Open to all.

Second ASWC Debate

6 p.m., Reid Basement

Candidates for the Sustainability Chair and President will be debating. Snacks will be provided.

Open to Whitman Students.

Friday, April 14

Wind Ensemble Spring Concert

4 p.m., Chism Recital Hall

The Whitman Wind Ensemble, conducted by Professor Gary Gemberling, will be performing a wide range of works from the classical wind repertoire.

Open to all students.

Saturday, April 15

Alpha Phifa Fundraiser

11 a.m., Ankeny Field

Alpha Phi invites you to join their annual soccer tournament in support of Walla Walla’s local Planned Parenthood. Games will be 5 v 5. You can register with a team or come as an independent.

Open to Whitman Students. Register here, for $7 a player.