Wire Watch: Feb. 26-Mar. 4

Gillian Mackay-Brown, Managing Editor

“Two Cellos” Recital

Sunday, February 26, 3 p.m., Chism Recital Hall in the Hall of Music

Accompanied by Jan Roberts, sophomore Keziah Eckert and first year Asim Kapoor will be performing works for cello. The recital will run about 50 minutes long.

Open to all.

The Sea is My Country: The Maritime World of the Makahs

Monday, February 27, 7 p.m., Olin Auditorium

The University of Washington’s own Associate Professor of American Indian Studies and History Dr. Joshua Reid discusses his book, “The Sea is My Country: The Maritime World of the Makahs,” and how the Makah continue to maintain their waters.

Open to all.

First Thursday Concert: “The Seasons” by Tchaikovsky

Thursday, March 2, 12:15 p.m., St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

The St. Paul’s First Thursday Concert is a monthly series featuring musicians from the Walla Walla community. Enjoy selections from “The Seasons” by Tchaikovsky, featuring Whitman College pianists. You are invited to bring a lunch to eat while you listen. All donations will benefit the Sphinx Organization: “transforming lives through the power of diversity in the arts.”

Open to all.

Musical Inclusion and the Unheard Terms of DEI Work

Thursday, March 2, 5:30 p.m., Maxey Auditorium

Dr. Anthony Kwame, professor at Virginia Tech, discusses the various ways in which sound and music can promote feelings of belonging or increase feelings of estrangement in social spaces.

Kissing the Witch

March 2-5, Harper Joy Theatre

Written by acclaimed Irish author and playwright Emma Donoghue and directed by Dr. Laura Hope, “Kissing the Witch” puts the fairy tales ingrained in our western culture under the microscope. It deconstructs the very notion of a “witch,” asking us to consider why we push that title on certain women, and not on others.

Evening performances: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8:00 p.m.

Matinees: Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

Purchase tickets at the Harper Joy Box Office or online. Tickets are free to Whitman students.