Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Vol. CLIV, Issue 8
Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Soccer faces formidable UPS

by Andrea Miller

On a perfect, 80-degree Saturday afternoon, the Whitman women’s soccer team made it on the scoreboard with 31 seconds left in regulation play to tie up the game against the University of Puget Sound Loggers.

Whitman women’s soccer coach Scott Shields said he and the team “knew it was going to be hard going in” because UPS is nationally ranked.

Neither team scored in the first half, but with 14 minutes left in the game, UPS got one past Whitman goalkeeper Erica Goad. With less than 35 seconds on the clock, sophomore Kristen Mittelsteadt passed the ball to first-year Corina Gabbert, who knocked the ball into the net, evening out the score.

Two overtimes later, neither team had scored, and the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

Coach Shields said that the defenders, seniors Erin Frame and Lindsay Wymer, “did a fantastic job in back.” He also noted the good performance and hard work of the forwards, junior Kristen Berndt and senior Sammy Arthur, and the goalkeeper, sophomore Erica Goad. Shields said that the game was “one of the best [they’ve] put together so far.”

The Whitman men’s soccer team lost their game1-0 against UPS.

The UPS Loggers remain undefeated this season.

The Loggers made nine shots during the game, eight of which were saved by Whitman goalkeeper sophomore Brett Axlerod, while the Missionaries were only able to make two attempts with no goals.

Whitman lead in foul calls 21-6. Also, referees administered yellow cards to five members of the Whitman team, most of them given out in the last few minutes of the game.

Much of the Whitman crowd and the UPS crowd disapproved of   referees’ decisions throughout the game, and expressed disagreement with the calls.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All Whitman Wire Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *