Wire Watch Feb. 19-25

Gillian Mackay-Brown, Managing Editor

The Lion in the Winter

Feb 17-19 and 24-26, 7:30 p.m. (evening shows) and 2:00 p.m. (matinees), The Little Theatre

Royal drama, power struggles and adultery – these are all themes that feature heavily in the Little Theatre of Walla Walla’s production of The Lion in the Winter. This play, while comedic in tone, follows the strained relationship of Eleanor of Aquitaine and her husband, Henry II. Every family can get a little crazy, but this family feud has the future of entire countries at stake.

Get tickets online or at the Little Theatre box office.

Museum After Hours

Thursday, Feb 23, 4 p.m., Fort Walla Walla Museum

Professor David F. Schmitz presents his book, “The Transformation of Whitman College: from a Regional to a National Liberal Arts College.” This volume of Whitman’s history concentrates on the forty year period between 1975 and 2015. Hear about his research process and highlights from this era of the college’s history.

Free and open to all.

POWER AND PRIVILEGE SYMPOSIUM

Keynote Speaker Loretta J. Ross

Tuesday, Feb 21, 6 p.m., Reid Ballroom

Loretta J. Ross opens the 2023 Power and Privilege Symposium. Ross is a professor in Smith College’s department of Women and Gender Studies, McArthur fellow, author and activist. She is nationally recognized for her work on racial justice and women’s rights. A recording will be posted after the event.

RSVP here.

Guest Performer Sounds of the People

Wednesday, Feb 22, 6:30 p.m., Reid Ballroom

Sounds of the People is a local hip hop collective dedicated to uplifting the undiscovered art, music, and voices of Black and Brown creators, with story telling always at the forefront of their work. The creative team, hailing from Boston, Los Angeles and Hermiston, OR takes inspiration from artists like Doja Cat, SZA, Jay-Z, PARTYNEXTDOOR, and their own unique musical upbringings.

Open to all.

Power and Privilege Day

Thursday, Feb 23, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

All sessions will be led by Whitman students, faculty, and staff. Check out the full schedule here.

Block 1: 9-9:50 a.m.

Block 2: 10:10-11 a.m.

Block 3: 2-2:50 p.m.

Block 4: 3:10-4 p.m.

Open to all.