Whitman Wire

Whitman Blues swim to success against George Fox

Illustration by Lanh Tran

Charlotte Elliott, Sports Reporter

November 15, 2019

The Whitman swim team's reputation can be summed up in one word: fast. Despite only having had two meets so far this season, they already have a good chance of winning this season’s Northwest Conference Championships. On Saturday, Nov. 2, both the men’s and women’s teams competed against George F...

Varsity athletes give back in Friends Mentor program

Emily Solomon, Sports Editor

November 1, 2019

College student mentors play an important role in many people's lives, and they are especially crucial for kids who do not have someone they can look up to in their own family or household. The Friends of Children of Walla Walla Mentor Program brings Whitman students to many of the elementary schoo...

The importance of an active study break

Illustration by Anika Vučićević

Charlotte Elliott, Sports Reporter

November 1, 2019

Whitman has many varsity athletes, with over 20 percent of Whitman's student body taking part in varsity sports. Despite this, a lesser-known quality of the college is how sporty the remaining 80 percent are. When Mother Nature is in a good mood — predominately during the summer months — Whitt...

Theme nights lined up for women’s volleyball’s final homestead

First-year Christina Boxberger (left), junior Elyse Benavides (middle) and junior Ruby Matthews (right) prepare for a serve versus conference opponent, University of Puget Sound. Contributed photo by Whitman Athletics

Bhavesh Gulrajani , Sports Reporter

October 31, 2019

The women’s volleyball team will play their final home games of the season this weekend, which also marks the end of theme nights — games during which players dress up according to designated themes. The team is closing out the season strong, planning on two final theme nights for their upcomi...

One Team Gets More Sports Points Than Other Team

One Team Gets More Sports Points Than Other Team

Quin Nelson

April 3, 2014

It was another exciting night at the ballpark where the Whitman team took on the other team at the game. The Missionaries did better than the other team, earning more sports points than their opponents, which means that they won. The game started with the ball being put on the field, and the...

Whitman Swimming smashes long-set records in huge blitz

Credit: Greg Lehman

Libby Arnosti

February 16, 2012

The Whitman swimming record board has never been shattered with such ruthlessness. Last weekend at the season-end Northwest Conference Championship meet, an unprecedented 25 records fell to this year's talented batch of swimmers. The men and women raced their way through the three-day meet to round off...

Whitman fandom lacks vigor

Libby Arnosti

October 21, 2010

It's no question that Whitman students are an enthusiastic bunch. Students' enthusiasm for the Whitman community they work so hard to create falls short, however, when it comes to supporting the college's athletics. Whitman sporting events are often sparsely attended; the students who do turn out...

Women’s golf team looks ahead to promising season

Tate Head ‘13 and Caitlin Holland ‘13 practice at the Walla Walla Country Club before the Sept. 18-19 Pacific Women's Golf Invitational. Photo Credit: Brandon Fennell


September 23, 2010

This year's women's golf team is off to an early, strong start. The team recently placed second in the George Fox Fall Invitational on Sept. 12--the first tournament of the season. The home team, who is ranked in the top ten in the nation, placed first.   These strong results reinforced the team's opening attitudes for the season. "[It] was pretty exciting for us," said sophomore Tate He...

Whitman news since 1896
Whitman Sports