Whitman soccer celebrates seniors at last home game 

Women’s soccer seniors pose with their framed Whitman jerseys. From left to right: Allie Seracuse, Sophie Brussell, Emily Rigsby, Sofia Ellington, Jessie Mano, Tate Kautzky, Kenz Tierney, Pagan Hetherington and Bryanna Schreiber. Contributed photos by Bryanna Schreiber

Emily Solomon, Sports Editor

On Sunday, Nov. 3, both men’s and women’s soccer teams honored their respective classes of 2020 with a pregame celebration on the Whitman Athletic Fields. The women’s team capped off Senior Day with a 2-0 win over Pacific University, while the men’s team narrowly lost to Willamette 0-1. 

For the women’s team, the senior festivities began the night before Senior Day with the team hosting a dinner with parents, families and coaching staff. Prior to kick-off, a ceremony was held on the field, during which each of the seniors was announced and given the stage to speak about their soccer careers, what they have accomplished on campus over the last four years and their post-graduation aspirations. 

The underclassmen on the team provided their seniors with goodie bags, the parents placed leis around their necks and the coaches gifted them framed Whitman jerseys. Parents met their seniors on the field and spent some time snapping commemorative pictures before kick-off at 11 a.m.

Senior goal keeper and psychology major Bryanna Schreiber treasured the opportunity to celebrate four years of collegiate soccer, her fellow seniors and her coaching staff, attributing her favorite soccer memories to the family she has built at Whitman.

“My favorite part has been the away trips and bus rides, which have really allowed me to get to know my teammates and make lifelong friendships,” Schreiber said. “I also really enjoyed our trip to England in August. It was a great way for those of us who were abroad to transition back to being a part of the team and to have team bonding again after so many transitions.”

The men’s soccer team had a similar celebration of near-graduates that started with brunch with the team and families, an annual Senior Day tradition. During the brunch, coaches gave speeches about their seniors and presented a slideshow. Just like the women’s team, the guys had a small walkout celebration and met their parents and coaches on the field. 

Senior goalkeeper and computer science major Owen Davis-Bower looks back fondly on his past four years in a Whitman uniform. While his team has continually held high expectations as a top contender in the Northwest Conference, what has proven to be even more important for Davis-Bower has been the wonderful team camaraderie they have built over the years.

“My favorite part of Whitman soccer over these last four years has been getting to know and work with so many great and hard working guys,” Davis-Bower said. “During our time at Whitman we’ve gotten to play with guys from seven different classes, which is pretty cool. I’ve also always enjoyed getting to travel with the team, and I think I’m going to miss that a lot.”

As seniors wrap up their college studies and varsity sports careers, many have already planned out what comes next. Davis-Bower’s post-college plans include moving to Bellevue and working as an iOS software engineer at OfferUp, a mobile-driven local marketplace he interned at this past summer. 

“I’m really excited to live in a bigger city again,” Davis-Bower said. “I’m planning on doing a lot of hiking around the Cascade Mountains as well as playing some recreational soccer.”

While Davis-Bower intends to start working at OfferUp post-Whitman, Schreiber hopes to use some time off after her senior year to prepare for the future.

“I look forward to taking a year off of school and studying for the LSAT in order to apply to law schools for the following year,” Schreiber said. “I am passionate about how mental illness is treated within the criminal justice system and hope to change that eventually with my law degree.”

Senior defender and BBMB major Alex Cooper plans to travel somewhere warm after graduation and learn how to surf. He shared that over his past four years of being a part of Whitman soccer, snatching a victory in one season’s Battle of the Whits finale is one memory he will never forget. 

“One of my favorite parts would have to be when we beat Whitworth in the snow for the final game of the season our sophomore year,” Cooper said.

The men’s team will be saying goodbye to ten seniors, and the women’s team, nine, as they prepare for another off-season of soccer.