Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Vol. CLIV, Issue 6
Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Letter from the Editor

It’s hard to believe that 13 issues have passed since the beginning of the semester. For that matter, it’s even harder to believe that the end of the semester is upon us and that summer is only days away.

As this is our last regular issue of the semester (be on the lookout for our second annual Grad Issue, debuting May 18), it comes time for me to reflect not only on what we’ve accomplished these last few months but to also consider what we can do in the coming year. Although May marks the end of an academic year, it marks the midway point of my yearlong term as editor-in-chief.

This semester has been a learning experience, for nothing could have prepared me for this role. Since The Pioneer is a student newspaper, there is no cut-and-dried way of publishing, no manual telling us exactly what to do. This is both rewarding and incredibly challenging.

To help us with this challenge, we’ve established an Advisory Board, comprised of members of the Whitman and Walla Walla communities who are experienced in the fields of journalism, publishing and writing. The Board consists of Professor of History Julie Charlip, Visiting Assistant Professor of Politics Ashley Esarey and Professor of Rhetoric and Film Studies Bob Withycombe; Director of Fellowships and Grants Keith Raether; Associate Director of Communications and Editor of the Whitman Magazine Lana Brown; VP for Development and College Relations John Bogley; and Walla Walla Union-Bulletin Publisher Rob Blethen.

I have also learned an incredible amount from the amazing team of editors I’ve had the pleasure of working with. They have consistently brought new ideas to the table, and they had led me to reconsider many of the newspaper’s previous conventions. I am excited to implement their ideas and suggestions come next semester.

I am also indebted to the entire Pioneer staff. The hard work and dedication of the writers, photographers, illustrators, production associates and business staff makes producing a weekly newspaper possible. This list isn’t complete without mention of my partner in crime, Publisher Derek Thurber. Derek has been influential in not only keeping me sane, but in creating a sustainable business model for The Pioneer and for spearheading the formation of the Advisory Board and the redesign of our Web site, which is set to debut in September.

To the entire Whitman community, I wish you the best of luck on final exams and hope you all have a relaxing, well-deserved summer vacation. And to seniors, best of luck in the years to come.

Until next time,

Molly