Breaking: Shooting on Stadium Drive; one dead, another injured (Update)

Alasdair Padman, Editor in Chief

Jan. 9, 1:04 p.m.

According to the Union-Bulletin, Stephen A. Taylor, 47, was arrested and booked into Walla Walla County Jail on Friday evening, Jan. 8. He is being held for investigation of second-degree murder and two counts of first-degree assault.

According to WWPD, his father, Gerard W. Taylor, 72, was found dead at 911 Stadium Drive.

Stephen Taylor’s brother, 43, also suffered a gunshot wound and was transported to Providence St. Mary Medical Center. His condition is unknown.

Jan. 8, 2:46 p.m.

According to the Union-Bulletin, a shooting has occurred on Stadium Drive near Borleske Stadium.

Two people were shot; one is dead. The injured victim has been transported to Providence St. Mary Medical Center.

According to a press release from the Walla Walla Police Department (WWPD), one person of interest in now in custody and detective are speaking with residents in the area.

Stadium is currently blocked off and traffic in the area is being rerouted.

At 1:06 p.m., Gina Ohnstad, the Senior Director of Communications at Whitman College forwarded this email from Stephen Davis, Director of Campus Security:

“This afternoon, Whitman Security responded to an off-campus student residence north of Isaacs Ave. after receiving information that there was a police presence.  When security arrived, police were on the scene and an investigation was underway.  The scene has since been cleared and Whitman students in the area are safe. We have no reason to believe that there is any danger to the Whitman Community.”

At 1:50 p.m., students also received a follow-up email from Ohnstad:

“As a follow-up to an earlier email about police activity off campus, we have learned that law enforcement officers are still on scene near Stadium Drive. A police investigation is underway so please avoid this area if possible.

Again, we have no reason to believe there is any danger to the Whitman Community.”

We urge you to stay away from the area until the WWPD have completed their investigation.