Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Vol. CLIV, Issue 9
Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Network for Young Walla Walla unites student activists across local colleges

Credit: Hubanks
Credit: Hubanks

Getting students involved in community activism isn’t always about capturing their interest in the issue at stake; sometimes it’s necessary to engage other interests first. In its kick-off events at Whitman College and Walla Walla University, the Network for Young Walla Walla opted for balloons and banana splits, respectively.

The network held its second event of the year Tuesday, Oct. 20, at Walla Walla University. The first took place Saturday, Oct. 10, on the Whitman campus, representing th’s efforts to include students from each of the three institutions of higher education in Walla Walla: Whitman, Walla Walla University and Walla Walla Community College.

“We’re trying to get the three campuses united so we can take on community issues together,” said WWU sophomore Katie Whittlake in her opening statement at the university’s Student Association Center. The event drew 25 to 30 university students to meet and learn about the network. Attendees were encouraged to sign up for the network on a laptop.

Senior Camila Thorndike was the only Whitman student present. She has directed the network’s development, but emphasized to university students that neither she nor Whitman holds power in the network.

“There is no leadership within the network itself; it is just a way to connect to take on issues,” she said.

The rhetoric about issues is intentionally vague. Network organizers stress that the network does not have a specific agenda, but rather aims to connect and train a diverse group of youth to address issues that interest them.

“Come with an interest; spin it into action,” said Whitman sophomore Zach Duffy, the network’s webmaster.

One focus has emerged, however, that would allow students to take on numerous issues that interest them.

“Perhaps our biggest fight is getting youth in decision-making roles. We want a seat at the table,” Thorndike said. “Why shouldn’t there be a student voice in decisions when it’s our future?”

Thorndike identified Walla Walla’s Sustainability Commission and City Council as examples of committees on which students could and should have a representative.

Since the network is not issue-based, Thorndike thinks it will be able to morph itself to incorporate as many different interests as possible, including youth from the community beyond the three student bodies.

“We want to leave the door open to as diverse a group as possible to link to the network,” said Thorndike, citing socioeconomic and ideological diversity in particular.

Efforts to engage Walla Walla Community College students are the clearest example so far of that goal. Christina Stamper, one of two WWCC students present at the University kick-off, noted that while WWCC students face barriers to getting involved because they often have jobs and families, they also can help the network understand local issues and are committed to the community.

“We bring inside perspectives on the issues, health care or affordable housing,” Stamper said.

Thorndike and University sophomore Ian Field, University sophomore and vice-president of ASWU (Associated Students of Walla Walla University), both noted that because WWCC students live in the Walla Walla area they can contribute to the institutional memory the network wants to create that will enable future students to quickly get involved in the community.

“So often the excitement that youth can generate can seem like a false hope to community members, or professors even, because they know we come and go,” Thorndike said. She expects the the network’s Web site will provide a self-sustaining forum for future students to access leadership tips and tools.

“Future students can plug into this network and run from there,” she said.

Whitman’s event drew approximately 60 people looking to plug in, about the same number that attended the Walla Walla Unite picnic that sparked the network last spring.

Having activated students at the local institutions, the network now plans to unite them Dec. 4 through Dec. 6 at its Youth Leadership Summit, featuring panels on sustainability, peer-to-peer activism training and salsa dancing.

“The summit is really important because it is the manifestation of our mission,” said Thorndike.

The mission is reflected in the network’s slogan: Find a cause, connect with others, make plans and take action.

View Comments (1)