Wire Watch Apr. 16-22

Gillian Mackay-Brown, Managing Editor

Sunday, April 16

Gamma Games

12-3 p.m., Sand Volleyball Court

Kappa Kappa Gamma presents their annual fundraising event, Gamma Games! All proceeds from this beach volleyball tournament go to the STAR Project, an organization that helps incarcerated individuals reintegrate into communities. Teams of four or more are encouraged.

Open to all. Register here for $5 per player.

Tri-College Community Day

12 p.m., Fort Walla Walla Park

Walla Walla’s three colleges are coming together with the Blue Zone Project to better the community. Pick from a variety of local organizations, including the Gesa Powerhouse Theatre, the Walla Walla amphitheater or one of the many beautiful parks around town. Free lunch and t-shirts are provided.

Open to the Whitman, Walla Walla University and Walla Walla Community College community. Register here.

Tuesday, April 18

Hosokawa Journalism Lecture: “Civil discourse in an Uncivil Age”

7 p.m., Reid Ballroom

The annual Hosokawa Lecture, funded through the Hosokawa Journalism Endowment, is a celebration of student journalism. This year’s speaker, journalist Alexander Heffner, is the host of the PBS show “The Open Mind” and co-author of “A Documentary History of the United States.”

Open to all.

Wednesday, April 19

Third Space Speaker Series: Matika Wilbur

6 p.m., Maxey Auditorium

Over the course of a decade, Matika Wilbur travelled to, conversed with and photographed all 562 federally recognized Native American Tribal Nations. At this talk, Matika will reflect on what she has learned from her massive art and storytelling project.

Open to all.

Thursday, April 20

“Disaster!” The Musical

April 20-23, Harper Joy Theatre

What do Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony, Nutcracker-inspired rat kings, natural disasters and Gloria Gaynor’s “I will Survive” have in common? Absolutely nothing at all, and yet somehow they are all a part of “Disaster!,” written and composed by Seth Rudetsky and Jack Plotnick. This entirely student-produced musical features Whitman’s own The Wind-Up Birds, tap dancing and a whole lot of disco.

Evening performances: Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m.

Matinees: Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Purchase tickets online. Tickets are free.

Saturday, April 22

Sweet Onion Crank

8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Whitman Climbing Center

The annual Sweet Onion bouldering competition is back! No matter your climbing abilities, this competition is for you. There are prizes available for winners and through a raffle.

Open to Whitman students and students from Other NC3 schools. Register here if you’re a Whitman student. Register here if you’re a non-Whitman student.

Community Tamale Fundraiser

Tamales will be ready for pick up between 12 – 4 p.m.

Help benefit victims of earthquakes in Turkey and Syria by ordering community-made tamales. Get a dozen pork, chicken or cheese tamales for only $20.

Order here.