Wire Watch: Mar. 5-11

Gillian Mackay-Brown, Managing Editor

Kissing the Witch

March 2-5, Harper Joy Theatre

Written by acclaimed Irish author and playwright Emma Donoghue, and directed by Dr. Laura Hope, “Kissing the Witch” puts the fairy tales ingrained in our western culture under the microscope. It deconstructs the very notion of a “witch,” asking us to consider why we push that title on certain women and not on others.

Evening performances: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8:00 p.m.

Matinees: Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

Purchase tickets at the Harper Joy Box Office between 12:30 and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday or up to 45 minutes before the show. Tickets are free to Whitman students.

Off-Campus Studies Photo Fest

Monday, March 6, 6 p.m., Reid Basement

Join Whitman Off-Campus Studies for the first ever Photo Fest. Students will share amazing photos and stories from their adventures abroad, and prizes will be awarded to the winners of the OCS Photo Contest. Appetizers will be served.

Open to all Whitman students.

Marc Herbst: “Playing With the Rules, Culture and Climate Change”

Monday, March 6, 7 p.m., Olin Auditorium

Marc Herbst is an interdisciplinary artist who creates participatory artworks that engage with questions of social transformation due to the current climate crisis. Herbst draws on his research in this lecture about the ways in which people can use art and play to enact social change in a global community that is already constantly changing.

Open to all.

In the ruins: The State of the Earthquakes in Turkey, Syria and Kurdistan and Terror as Usual

Tuesday, March 7, 4 p.m., Reid Basement

Stand in solidarity with all those affected by earthquakes in the Middle East at this Teach-In that focuses on the environmental and political effects of natural disaster. Remember and honor the lives that have been lost in Syria, Turkey and Kurdistan.

Open to all.

Whitman College Women’s Lacrosse vs. Allegheny College

Wednesday, March 8, 1 p.m., Whitman Athletic Fields

The Blues go head to head with Allegheny College’s Lacrosse team in this home game. Watch the livestream or come in person to the Whitman Athletic Fields to support Whitman Athletics.

Open to all.

Film Screening: “Dolores”

Wednesday, March 8, 7 p.m., Winter Educational Complex

SW 4th St, College Place, WA

“Rebel. Activist. Feminist. Mother.” A contemporary to Caesar Chavez and co-founder of the first farm workers unions, Dolores Huerta is one the most important but least known activists of the 20th century. What better way to celebrate International Women’s Day than by watching this award-winning documentary about the life of an unsung hero? The screening will run about 95 minutes.

Matthew Barber: “The Role of the PKK in Response to the Yazidi Genocide”

Wednesday, March 8, 7 p.m., Olin Auditorium

Matthew Barber, an O’Donnell Visiting Educator in Global Studies at Whitman College, discusses the genocide of the Yazidi people, an ethnic minority in Kurdistan. In particular, he will be focusing on the response of the local militant group the Kurdistan Worker’s Party (PKK), which the United States and the E.U. have classified as a terrorist organization.

Open to all.

Whitman College Men’s Tennis vs. Lewis & Clark College

Saturday, March 11, 10 a.m., Whitman Tennis Courts

The Whitman Men’s Tennis Team will be playing against nearby rivals Lewis and Clark College this Saturday. Watch the livestream or come support the Blues in person in the heart of Whitman’s campus.

Open to all.