Swimming for a Cure: the Hour of Power

Lennae Starr, Staff Reporter

For one hour on Nov. 13, swimmers around the nation swam like their lives depended on it – because some day they might. The Hour of Power is a nation-wide relay event in which thousands of swimmers simultaneously dive into their pools and swim nonstop as a team for 60 minutes in remembrance of Ted Mullin, a Carleton College swimmer who died of a rare cancer known as synovial sarcoma in 2006.

The event was established by the Carleton Knights Swim Team the same year.

Since its creation, teams across the United States – including our very own Whitman Blues Swim Team – have participated in this relay event, fundraising hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Ted Mullin Fund. The fund was created in his memory and focuses on finding a cure for sarcoma through the University of Chicago Medicine.

Until that cure is found, the American Cancer Society has predicted that over 13,000 cases of sarcoma will be diagnosed in 2018 alone.

“I find it extremely powerful to know that so many other swimmers are taking part. In my experience, I’ve often felt a sense of camaraderie already among other swimmers but the Hour of Power heightens this feeling because we really are doing it for a greater purpose. I’m proud that our team has been so committed to this event and I hope that our involvement and contribution will continue to increase in the coming years,” said Amanda Li, a senior who swims the breaststroke and freestyle.

Whitman has been participating in this event for 12 years, and used to be the sole representative of the Northwest Conference.

Kaelie Rose, now a senior swimming backstroke and freestyle for the Blues, swam in high school as well. She noted that one of her old high school teammates was swimming alongside her during the event this year – all the way in Florida.

“It is really astounding to know that so many people and so many teams across the states are taking part in an event for the sake of a swimming community, and for the love we all share for our teammates,” said Rose.

“While it may not be sarcoma specifically, all of us have known someone, either directly or indirectly, affected by cancer,” said Li. “I think it’s an amazing opportunity for us as athletes to do what we can to raise awareness for this condition by doing something we love.”