Athlete Spotlight: Shiyang Fan

Jordan O'Roy, Sports Editor

Senior women’s golf player, Shiyang Fan, is an environmental studies and anthropology combined major.

This past week Fan was recognized by the Northwest Conference as a student athlete of the week. Fan has had an outstanding season, as she has won three events out of her nine competitions. Fan won the Pacific Lutheran University Invitational to open up the season, had a season low 140 for four in order to win the Sunshine Invitational, and won the Northwest Conference Championship title with a three-over par, tying for an overall 10th place at the NCAA Division III Championship.

With the fall season coming to an end, Fan still has even higher hopes for the upcoming spring season.

“We get to host the conference championship at Wine Valley Golf Club in April which is my favorite golf course so I am very excited about that,” Fan said.

Fan is a very team and family oriented player, as she derived her love for golf at such a young age thanks to her father, and continued to thrive throughout her golf career thanks to her coaches and teammates who provided a strong and encouraging support system.

“I started playing golf when I was six because my dad was really into golf, and he just brought me to the golf course a lot, so I became interested in the sport over time as well,” Fan said.

Photo by Katy Laliolis

“I would say playing golf here at Whitman has been one of the best experiences of my life. I enjoyed every trip we had, and the team and coaches are really like family to me. They helped me so much both on and off the course, and I truly think that my experience here at Whitman wouldn’t be the same without them.”

Although, Fan has no specific plans after graduating this upcoming spring of 2019, Fan still hopes to pursue her goals in golf by becoming a golf coach.

“I don’t have any set plans for after college but I am interested in getting a coaching certificate for golf,” Fan explained.

Fan’s time here at Whitman is starting to wrap up as the fall season and fall semester are soon coming to a close. While Fan still has the spring to look forward to, in order to end her senior year and her final year here at Whitman with a bang, Fan has these few words to say to her teammates.

“I would say the most important thing is to have fun and just embrace the ups and downs along the way,” Fan said.