Women’s Rugby

The+Womens+Rugby+Team+practices+on+the+Harper+Joy+field%2C+preparing+for+an+upcoming+match.+

Evan Conklin

The Women’s Rugby Team practices on the Harper Joy field, preparing for an upcoming match.

Emily Solomon, Staff Reporter

Women’s rugby is a fairly new club sport at Whitman, one that has seen a significant spike in popularity. Those who enjoy a contact and aggressive sport as well as being part of a tight-knit family might be interested in joining the squad and learning some rugby.

Women’s rugby practices on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays at 4 p.m. at Harper Joy Field, with games starting up on Saturdays.

First-year Charlotte Nicholson not only enjoys rugby, but sought out a school that would allow her to continue playing the sport she loves.

“Rugby means a lot to me,” Nicholson said. “The level of bonding within the team is absolutely incredible.”

Nicholson hopes to see the sport continue to grow on Whitman’s campus, ensuring that rugby is less dangerous and more welcoming than some might think.

“It’s actually really safe,” Nicholson said. “It’s a sport that is very common for new players to come into often, so no experience is needed. Everyone is very supportive and will make sure you get all the information you need to succeed.”

Sophomore Tamzen Shissler also enjoys the team dynamic of rugby and how it has shaped her as a person and player.

“These girls are some of the most fearless people I know, and that makes me have more confidence in myself,” Shissler said. “I never thought I would enjoy tackling people, but I find it tolerable enough, and also, if you do it right, it isn’t dangerous.”

A common theme arises that rugby is not as dangerous and unsafe as it’s made out to be, and actually is a good way to establish confidence.