Summer Break in the Life of a College Athlete

Emily Solomon, Sports Reporter

Many students that return home for the summer enjoy spending time with their families and friends. But what are their plans for the upcoming three months before they have to repack their bags and board their planes to return back to school? Collegiate athletes typically spend their summers quite differently than the average student.

Junior baseball player, Eric Ma,  played for the Conejo Oaks which competed in the California Collegiate League. This league provides college baseball players from all over the country to further their skills and development as they look forward to returning to their college season or as potential professional players. Having this opportunity didn’t just prepare Ma to look forward to an exceptional season, but allowed Ma to experience the life of a professional athlete. “My overall summer experience for this team was awesome. I played  at a high level of competition and met a lot of new people that I am now good friends with. We even won our team’s first CCL Championship and also got to watch on field batting practice at Angels Stadium,” Ma said. Ma is excited for the upcoming 2019 spring season and is ready to strive towards the NWC Championship title.

Eric Ma ’20 pitches over the summer for Conejo Oaks, a now championship team. Photo courtesy of Whitman Athletics.

Sophomore men’s soccer player, Gabe Weight, played on the Bellingham United FC reserve team. Bellingham United FC is a semi-professional team that allows collegiate athletes to compete at a high level and get extra touches on the ball. This experience allowed Weight to reconnect and train with former teammates and coaches, which attributed greatly to the competitive environment. “Playing for Bellingham’s semi-pro reserve team kept me in shape and allowed me to get quality touches on the ball, while playing with some really good players,” Weight commented. In preparation for the men’s soccer 2018 season, Weight aims to help out on the pitch and create the opportunity for a great season.