NC3 Champions

Emily Solomon, Staff Reporter

This past weekend, Whitman’s climbing team won the Northwest Collegiate Climbing Circuit (NC3) for the first time in school history. Senior and team captain NoahLani Litwinsella, who has been a member of Whitman’s climbing team for four years, won the men’s overall NC3 competition for the third time this season.

“This has been a season unlike any other I have seen,” Litwinsella said. “I don’t think I have ever been more proud of anything in my life than I am of this team.”

Compared to its competitors in the Northwest Collegiate Climbing Circuit, Whitman is very small. Whitman competes with big name schools such as the University of Oregon and the University of Washington, which both have at least 15 times as many students as Whitman.

Whitman entered the finals with a one-point lead, and was able to keep the lead throughout. The squad won the team competition as well as four of the six individual podium spots in the NC3.

First-year Mackenzie Kuller placed first overall in the women’s individual competition, Junior Raquel Peterson placed second, and sophomore Madison Crowley placed third, comfortably sealing all three podium spots for Whitman.

Looking forward, the team should expect continued success despite losing three seniors.

“We had a very well attended event at admitted students’ day and have had a number of prospective students come to our practices this year,” Litwinsella said. “Our team has an amazing future in front of it.”