Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Vol. CLIV, Issue 10
Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Whitman news since 1896

Whitman Wire

Student Voices: ASWC’s representation of Whitman students

Do you think ASWC is representative of the Whitman student body? Why or why not?

Courtney Sanford ’12–– I don’t have a very strong opinion of it. They could do a little bit more to reach out to the student body and let everyone know what’s going on. I’d say overall they’re doing a pretty good job.

Olivia Clingman-White ’14 – I’d say yes actually because I actually know a lot of the sophomore senators for this year so I get to complain to them directly about things that I want. I especially feel like they’re on top of the whole schedule stuff with the professors not being here a lot and the whole 3-2 system so I appreciate that they’re really trying to work on that which is my biggest thing …

Chloe Kinsey ’13 – I would agree, I feel like I know a lot of the ASWC senators and who like the senior leadership in ASWC. One thing I would be concerned about is the gender distribution, the fact that there hasn’t been a female president in such a long time. And yeah, I’m excited that we have a female vice president for next year but I would like to see a female president sometime soon.

Molly Presson ’14 – I do think it’s representative. There’s a lot of talking in the dining hall and I feel like you get a lot of direct contact with the representatives. And people actually do think about it, it’s just not their friends.

Clark Van Horne ’11 –– I think that is. I never really thought about it before. I guess it is. I can’t think of any glaring discrepancies about particularly the level of representation. I think ASWC is enough of a serious student government that it doesn’t usually turn into a popularity contest or any sort of silly stuff that like. I think the student body as a whole takes it seriously and knows that it’s important that the student body of voters tries to make it be representative of Whitman College.