JVMVL concert coming to College Place

Goldie Cameron, News Reporter

Sounds of the People performed at Whitman for the Power & Privilege Symposium in February. On May 6, Sounds of the People will host their biggest event yet featuring local R&B Artist JVMVL. JVMVL is releasing his new album “Who Hurt You?” and is celebrating with a concert at the College Place Lions Club.

Director of Sounds of the People Lindsey Luna said the event will start at 4 p.m. with local photographers in the park where guests can get their pictures taken. There will be a runway, following the photos, that leads to an area where guests can socialize.

“Guests will be welcomed on a red carpet runway at 5 p.m. where they can find seats and get drinks and food with tunes from DJ eMMANUEL. HNYZEE will open with a few songs from her upcoming debut EP ‘Virgo Moon,’” Luna said.

Luna said the concert will also feature a costume contest. 

Following the openers, JVMVL’s 45 minute long concert will have a brief intermission for the “Prom Royalty Best Dressed Contest” winners to be announced.

After the show, there will be a DJ dance party hosted by DJ eMMANUEL. Doors close at 9 p.m., and the party will continue over to the Green Lantern at the Prom Night Afterparty. Here, there will be a signature cocktail in JVMVLs honor, with a portion of the proceeds going to benefit JVMVL.

The event is the first of several events that Luna is planning, all of which will be happening throughout June and into the late summer. The goal is to amplify local Black artists.

This event is about putting some money in the pockets of a local Black artist to jump start his music career and provide exposure for his upcoming album,” Luna said. “We also hope that we can provide a new and interesting type of event for community members and students that will keep people coming to Sounds of the People events.”

Luna explained the themes in the music that will be a part of the concert.

“The theme is prom, but for adults. JVMVLs album is called ‘W.H.Y?’ which is short for ‘Who Hurt You?’ The album is a vulnerable and raw view into love and heartbreak. What better place to get your heart broken than prom?” Luna said. “We hope that this event will be fun for community members and local students to have a chance to dress up and experience some high school nostalgia while listening to some great music.”

Many people are involved in making this night happen, including security staff who will be on site during the event to make sure that everyone attending remains safe.

We are very grateful to the College Place Lions Club for providing the perfect venue for our needs and to all of the local businesses who have been posting our fliers. Our group of 20 local volunteers and the local publications, including The Wire, have helped us circulate the event information,” Luna said.

Event Coordinator of Sounds of the People Jen Olivos shared her thoughts about the upcoming event. 

I’m excited to see where JVMVL’s journey takes him,” Olivos said. “He is a genuine, kind and talented individual, and I know I’ll be hearing him everywhere in no time. You’ll have these songs stuck in your head all day; I find myself singing them even when I’m at the grocery store.”

The party will take place at the Lions Club on May 6 at 5 p.m. The party is an 18+ event, and the afterparty will take place at the Green Lantern, which is 21+.