In Remembrance of the Holocaust, Whitman Brings Guest Speaker to Campus

Speaker Clarice Wilsey presented to the Whitman community on her father’s experience with one of the Nazi concentration camps.

Rylee Neville, Staff Reporter

On Apr. 12, Whitman welcomed guest speaker Clarice Wilsey, daughter of a Holocaust survivor, to campus in honor of Holocaust Remembrance Day. Her father, Captain David Wilsey, M.D, was a Dachau Liberator, one of 27 doctors who entered Dachau concentration camp at liberation during the Holocaust. He provided medical care to countless prisoners during this time, and serves as an inspirational story today. Her father’s incredible story was told in Reid Ballroom last Friday.

This event was hosted by Whitman’s own Hillel Shalom. Hillel Shalom was created in 1982 by Sharon Kaufman-Osborn, a Whitman counselor. Hillel Shalom is part of a larger organization called Hillel. Through educational and social programming, Hillel Shalom brings understanding and pride of Jewish heritage to our community.

Kaima Weiss-Penzias, member of Hillel-Shalom, says this organization is a way for Jewish students at Whitman to be able to spread awareness around campus. Hillel Shalom spreads awareness through their holiday events, where every Friday at 5:00 p.m. there in an opportunity for others to come experience one of the foundations of Judaism, Shabbat.

“The purpose of Hillel Shalom is to create a space for the Jewish students at Whitman to be a community together. It also aims to include non Jewish students and educate the community about Judaism,” Weiss-Penzias said.

Anna Zirkes expands on the idea that Hillel-Shalom can be for anyone interested in Judaism. Hillel-Shalom is an opportunity to continue her traditions, and simultaneously give a space to share these traditions.

“We hope to create an inclusive and supportive community for Jewish students and students interested in Judaism at Whitman. We also strive to have educational opportunities for the Whitman and larger Walla Walla community,” Zirkes said.

Members of Hillel-Shalom stress the importance of Holocaust Remembrance Day, as it becomes easier to forget the atrocities of the past as time continues.

“Growing up, I was surrounded by a strong Jewish community, and I went to a private Jewish school through 8th grade. From a young age, I was ingrained with the notion of ‘never forget,’” Zirkes said.

Holocaust Remembrance Day actually takes place in May, and is called Yom Hashoah in Hebrew. Clarice Wisley was brought to campus on a different date due to the business of campus in May, but that did not take away from the importance of her story.

Weiss-Penzias reached out to the Holocaust Center for Humanity in Seattle, which put her in contact with Clarice.

“It is important as time goes on, to never forget what has happened in order to prevent anything like it from happening again. As we get further from the Holocaust, it gets harder to find a survivor to speak. Clarice is a legacy speaker. While this may not seem as exciting on face value, we were excited and grateful to have Clarice share her father’s story,” Weiss-Penzias said.

Remembrance Day is about never forgetting the Holocaust and the lives that were lost and the lives that were affected.

“It’s also about never allowing it to happen in the future. Never again allowing that hatred to fill our communities, and today that message is so incredibly important and relevant.  It’s also important because there are not as many survivors today to carry on that message, so the younger generations are tasked with taking that responsibility on,” Zirkes said.