Meet Whitman’s New SAVA: Jessica Matthews

Jessica+Mathews+has+recently+taken+on+the+role+of+Whitmans+Sexual+Assault+Victims+Advocate+%28SAVA%29.+

Rhett Butler

Jessica Mathews has recently taken on the role of Whitman’s Sexual Assault Victim’s Advocate (SAVA).

Rylee Neville, Staff Reporter

Jessica Matthews has recently been hired as Whitman’s new Sexual Assault Victim’s Advocate (SAVA). This position was created in 2016, with Hailey Powers serving as the first SAVA until last year.

Matthews was able to overlap positions with Powers for two months before assuming the position.

Rhett Butler

“Since then, I have worked to focus my efforts on ensuring that students, faculty and staff are aware that the SAVA is a resource for the Whitman community,” Matthews said.

According to Matthews, the role of the SAVA is to believe and support victims and survivors of sexual assault, attempted assault, sexual harassment, domestic violence, and intimate partner violence.

Matthews has an office on campus, however, she does not work for Whitman College.  

“I work for the YWCA. The YWCA is an accredited community-based sexual assault program, bound by confidentiality and privilege statues encoded in Washington State Law,” Matthews said.   

The YWCA offers options and information to connect clients with services. An advocate’s role is to explain their options, support them and help navigate the systems in place to assist victims.

If a client experiences sexual assault, YWCA offers to go to the hospital with them if they need examination. People like Jessica Matthews are able to stand by their side during the exam, offering emotional support. Other resources are available to victims of sexual assault, like counseling outside of Whitman campus, which YWCA can assist with a referral. According to Matthews, everything is completely the client’s discretion with regards to what resources they want to participate in.

“Advocacy is not counseling, it is not therapy and it is not health care, but we help connect people with those resources,” Matthews said.

While taking on this role, Matthews wants to create a relationship with students, faculty and staff that propels comfortable discussion about difficult topics.

“Whether they are seeking help for themselves or are concerned about a friend, I hope everyone on campus will come to understand my role better and understand what resources and support I can provide,” Matthews said.

Matthews is passionate about her work. Part of her job is to help victims grow from trauma related to sexual assault, whether the trauma happened yesterday or ten years ago.  

“I want Whitman students, faculty and staff to know that I am here for you. I work with an amazing, dedicated group of coworkers who have all received extensive training in crisis response as it relates to sexual assault and domestic violence. We are available to answer your questions and connect you with the resources you need to begin the journey of healing and recovery from the trauma you have experienced,” Matthews said.

Matthews’ office is located in Hunter 406. She is there Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. She can be reached by phone at 509-526-3032.

Matthews also shared other resources where students can find information on filing an anonymous report, as well as the college’s Grievance Policy.