Chorale and Chamber Singers Fantastic Fall Concert

Connie Moore, Staff Reporter

Last Saturday, Oct. 28 at 3 p.m., Whitman’s Chorale and Chamber Singers performed their fall concert at Chism Hall to an awed audience full of students, staff and community members. The concert was conducted by Miles Canaday and featured upbeat performances from first the Chorale then the Chamber Singers. Its pieces drew music from around the world, including music from places such as Armenia, Romania, Sweden and of course the United States. The concert commenced with Jackie Wood on piano, accompanying the Chorale singers.

Chamber member Rajesh Narayan described the different pieces performed by the Chamber Singers, he said, “The first piece we performed was “My Spirit Sang All Day” by Gerald Finzi, and it is a really energetic powerful song, it’s basically just happiness, happiness. The second one is a version of ‘The Lord is my Shepherd’ song, but instead with only female pronouns, so the composer is singing to his mother, which is really cool. The third piece is also upbeat and energetic while the fourth is more of a calm piece.”

Although both groups perform similar music there are a few distinctions between Chorale and Chamber. Narayan described the differences between the two groups, he said, “Chamber is a bit more selective, it only takes up to six or seven people per voice part. For Chorale it’s basically if you want to sing, and can sing, and you should come sing with us. Chamber also goes on tours, we’re actually going to Boston next semester, while Chorale doesn’t do tours very often.”   

The combination of both groups created a wonderful fall concert, incorporating a satisfying mixture of both high tempo and slower, calming songs.

“I loved the music, the harmonies were quirky and fun,” said audience member Mia Carswell.

If you were not able to attend their fall concert, the Chorale and Chamber Singers are performing again; their upcoming concert is taking place on Dec. 2 at 3 p.m. in Cordiner Hall and will be sure to impress.