KWCW Show of the Week: Ben & Jai’s Super Sundays

Martina Pansze, A&E Editor

Photo by Missy Gerlach
Photo by Missy Gerlach

First-years Jai Ahuja and Ben Adams share more than just a radio show–they also share a living space.

The Anderson Hall roommates began co-hosting “Ben & Jai’s Super Sundays” last semester when Adams had to miss a show and Ahuja stepped up to fill in.

“As soon as I discovered that we had pretty similar tastes in music I knew I wanted him to co-host,” Adams said.

Jai and Ben share a love for alternative music and rock, which is the bulk of what they feature on their show. However, there are genres where there tastes differ. While Jai listens to more rap and hip-hop, Ben favors older classic rock.

The pair chooses a theme for every week and play songs relating to the theme. Past themes have included “Music Your Dad Listens to When He’s Depressed,” “Songs Related to Monkeys” and “The Best Music from the Worst Artists.”

They also hosted a show where Ahuja, who is from San Jose, faced off against Adams, who hails from Snohomish, in a Pacific Northwest vs. California battle of songs.

“By each week’s show we have the theme for the next week so that we can announce it on air, and then we’ll work on [the playlist] over the week,” Adams said.

For Adams, a big part of the purpose of the show is to relax. “I kinda miss driving my car with some music [playing] for an hour. This is a nice way to listen to music without focusing on anything else at the same time,” he said.

Ahuja, however, gets more satisfaction out of the entertainment aspect. “I just like entertaining people–that’s kind of what I get out of the weird themes and us arguing on air,” Ahuja said. “Banter is definitely a big part of our show. A lot of my friends from home listen and both of our parents listen, and it’s just a way to let them know what’s going on and have fun.”

Ahuja and Adams have high hopes for a possible show in the future. As a finale to the semester, they hope to highlight the musical talents of their section with a “D-Sec Song Covers” show.

Listeners can also look forward to their Valentines Day theme “Your Ex’s Favorite Music” and the upcoming “We’re Back” show featuring songs that have anything to do with backs, including the Backstreet Boys and Sexyback.

“We have something planned for April Fool’s Day, too, but I don’t know if we can reveal that yet,” Ahuja said.

“Ben & Jai’s Super Sundays” airs Sundays at 6:00 pm.