Howell Breaking Records, Twisting Ankles, Lightening Hearts

Cherokee Washington, Sports Reporter

Tim Howell is one of Whitman’s most visible students. Originally from Calabasas, California, Howell has made his mark on the Whitman campus in less than three years. A sociology major and member of the Whitman men’s basketball team, the junior point guard leads the Northwest Conference in scoring with 425 points and can almost always be seen with a huge smile on his face.

Howell explained that his infatuation for the sport started at the age of five, when his father insisted he play basketball. At first he was reluctant, seeing basketball as something being forcing upon him. Things changed when Tim’s parents took him to see the movie “Like Mike,” which instantly changed his mind. Tim fell in love with the sport and started his journey toward collegiate basketball.

Howell attended Viewpoint High School where, during his freshman year, he led the team to its first winning season in school history.

At Whitman, Howell is currently one of three juniors on the team. A starter and impact player, Tim is known for his exuberant style of play, frequently interacting with the crowd and performing flashy, yet efficient plays. Howell currently leads the Northwest Conference with 20.2 points per game.

“Some call it arrogance, I call it confidence,” Howell said of his flashy play. “I play hard and have fun. [It is not a way] to knock other players [and their abilities], it just helps me play better.”

Like many basketball players, Tim sees the value in performing exciting plays while productively channeling his aggression to produce the numbers he does.

In late January, Howell set two career records in the team’s battles against George Fox and Whitworth University. At George Fox, he achieved a personal record of 40 points in a game. Against Whitworth, Tim set yet another record as he scored his 1000th college career point. Howell’s January performance earned him three consecutive Northwest Conference Student-Athlete of the Week honors.

For Howell, basketball is about much more than the statistics or wins, but about the team. So far, Howell’s team is doing well. The Blues are undefeated and ranked second in the nation.

“It is special to make history with this group of guys. Being a student-athlete is being more than [representing] yourself…and it is an amazing opportunity,” he said.

As a testament to this statement, Howell revealed that before every game, he gives a “One Up” to God, pointing to the sky to show his thanks for being gifted the opportunity and abilities to play collegiate basketball with a group of talented young men.

Sophomore teammate Cedric Jacobs-Jones endorsed Howell’s impact on the team.

“Tim is someone who is fearless; I can always count on him. As a teammate, you need those players that never back down. Tim is that player.”

“Tim is a guy who leads by example. He always takes charge in important moments and finds a way to make big plays for us,” Robert Colton, a first year teammate added.

When off the basketball court or out of the classroom, Howell can be found mentoring at Sharpseteen Middle School with the Whitman Mentor Program, cheering on his fellow athletes as a leader for Whit City, training local Walla Walla high school basketball players and enjoying quality time with close friends. From his role on the basketball team to his impact in the Walla Walla community, it is clear that Tim Howell is more than just a basketball player on the Whitman campus.

“Tim’s growth as a person, student, leader, community member, basketball player and teammate is just as remarkable in our eyes. We hope each member of our program reaps the benefits of team athletics to this extent, but it is rare. We could not be more proud of Tim Howell; he is ‘2 feet in’ width becoming the best person, leader and student-athlete he can become,” head coach Eric Bridgeland said.

As his teammates, coaches, and peers statements suggest, whether it be on the court or in the classroom, Howell is widely viewed as a positive addition to the Whitman campus. Many are excited to see where Howell’s abilities and infectious personality take him.