WEB welcomes the Mowgli’s

Emma Cooper, A&E Writer

On Thursday, Sept. 17, Whitman will welcome the indie-folk band The Mowgli’s, in an evening concert sponsored by the Whitman Events Board (WEB).

The Mowgli’s debuted in 2013 with their hit single “San Francisco” hitting the radio waves. Their music is predominantly upbeat and fun, meant to leave their listeners feeling good. They hope to share and inspire love through their songs.

The message that The Mowgli’s want to convey to their listeners is best summed up in the lyrics, “I wanna see another love revolution/ Find a way to be a better person/ If we could come together like we should/ We could all be good,” from their hit 2015 summer song “I’m Good.”

First-Year Anna Main is looking forward to the show.

“I wanna go to support bands that come all the way to Walla Walla to perform, because it’s out of the way, and I think it’s cool that they do that,” she said.

Whether you have heard all of their songs or none of their songs, The Mowgli’s concert will be a compelling performance that will leave you with a rush of endorphins and the inspiration to go out and spread love to the community in the hopes that just a little more love will make the world a better place.

The decision to bring The Mowgli’s was carefully thought out. This year, the WEB team split the Music co-directorship into two categories: ballroom and coffee house musical guests.

Junior Matthew Meyer, WEB Director of Coffee House Concerts, is optimistic about the new change.

Obviously [the co-directorship split] comes with it’s pros and cons but I believe overall it has made the process a bit more streamline. I was a music co-director last year as well and things seem to be running more smoothly overall this semester because of it.”

Sophomore Yarden Blausapp, WEB director of ballroom concerts, really sought to bring performers that would appeal to Whitman students. By taking in the feedback from the students last year and using Spotify to see what other Whitman students are listening to, she sought to bring in more folk/indie bands.

Blausapp decided that she wanted to bring “a band that had actual instruments” and veer away from the heavily electronic influenced performers Whitman has hosted in the past.

“Smaller concerts are better with a full band,” she said.

And a full band they are. The Mowgli’s are heavily instrumental with seven members, six of them playing instruments. Andy Warren is the drummer; Matt DiPanni is a bassist; Josh Hogan is a vocalist and guitarist; David Appelbaum plays keys; Colin Deiden is a vocalist and guitarist; Katie Earl is a vocalist; Michael Vincze is a guitarist and vocalist; and Spencer Trent is a percussionist.

The concert will take place in the Reid Ballroom at 8 p.m. Tickets are free and can be picked up at Reid Campus Center.